Monday, January 29, 2007

Hoping for a speedy delivery

We attended an all day labor and delivery class this weekend and I'm not nearly as scared as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds really painful and kind of scary, but I feel much more prepared now that I have an idea of what we might be able to expect.

One thing I've been noticing and the instructor pointed out - this is a very popular time to have babies. Several co-workers or co-workers wives are due around my due date. As are several of you. Also, this class was jam-packed. Apparently Memorial Day weekend was pretty busy for lots of people.

Anyway, the class was very informative. We found out a lot more about pain meds and C-sections. We found out the reasons doctors often turn to C-sections. At the last sonogram, the technician said Little Elvis was in the proper position. I'm hoping not to have a C-section, so hopefully none of those worse-case scenarios will pan out for us.

We also found out about the different stages of labor and when to go to the hospital. The instructor said it seemed like most women started having contractions at night, and I'm really hoping that's the case. I don't want to be on the Metro when contractions start. But if they do start at work, then I think I'll be ok. Three of my co-workers are M.D.s. I'm sure they'll know what to do if I go nuts.

We also did breathing techniques and found out about focusing on different things. She said we couldn't bring in candles, but we could bring in things that had a pleasant smell to us. Bob put a new bar of Zest in our bag for me. I wonder how many other pregnant women have sniffed bars of soap during their delivery? It's definitely one of my favorite smells, and hopefully it won't make me hungry! (Been having soap cravings on and off.)

Bob also learned some massage techniques and things he can do with a tennis ball to ease my discomfort. We now have a tennis ball and one of his dress socks in our bag as well.

The worst part by far was watching the video of 4 deliveries. Bob closed his eyes, but I watched (in horror.) Each birth was different and three seemed extremely painful - two had minor complications. In the final delivery, the baby practically delivered itself. It looked like the most pleasant. I wouldn't mind that one, although the baby was number 4 for that woman. I'm sure her first wasn't quite that easy.

We both enjoyed the hospital tour. No one was screaming or yelling in pain and we got to see grandparents look at their granddaughter for the first time. That was fun.

Now, I feel like we're a lot more ready. We had packed a hospital bag, but we ended up undoing and repacking it into a labor bag and a post-delivery bag. We have a meeting with the pediatrician's office on Feb. 13. Hopefully Little Elvis will hold off until then. After that, I'm hoping he'll come early. We're at 19 days and I really can't wait to meet him. Our sonogram pictures made me hungry for more. I only got to see half a face. I want to meet the whole baby. I also want to hear his cry.

What about you guys? Are you getting excited, anxious, nervous? All three?


Blogger Dawn said...

These last few weeks are the hardest, I think - we know the baby's done and ready... we know we're ready... so let's get on with it, already! LOL

I'm on #3 (c-sections for them all), so let me give you this advice... SLEEP NOW... Seriously, get your rest now, whenever you can. I know sleeping's not easy, but it's harder when the baby's here :) Best of luck. We're only 3 days apart!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Congrats Dawn! I am excited, but sleep is definitely eluding me. I start out the night cold, then when my bladder isn't waking me up, the sweating is. I don't know if it's hot flashes or being sandwiched between Bob, a pregnancy pillow and our cat. Probably the latter.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home