Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Channeling Bel Biv Devoe

I made my first call to the Poison hotline yesterday. My sweet little curious guy decided to taste some hydrocortisone.

How did his diligent mother allow this, you ask? Well -- she answers while blushing slightly -- he's been playing with that tube for weeks, but hasn't been able to open it. Yes -- she continues blushing even more -- I have been letting my son play with a tube of hydrocortisone. And yes, he has TONS of real toys, but prefers the things he thinks he's not supposed to have.

After I realized he had opened the tube and had white cream around his lips, I immediately grabbed the tube and read the label. Little Elvis smacked happily while I handed him a sippy cup of water, called Bob and then called the Poison hotline.

Does this look like a little boy who would willingly eat hydrocortisone?

I'm not sure what I was expecting from the poison hotline, but a real person answering on the first ring was not it! I kind of figured I'd listen to a recording, press 1 for English, and 2 for Emergency, and then hold until a brusk person answered.

Instead, a nice woman named Nancy answered, and told me that Little Elvis would be fine. She said he might throw up or have diarrhea, but he would be fine. She suggested I get him to drink something and was so nice!

In all my reorganizing craziness, I did not touch our bathroom. And although my crazy need to rearrange everything has passed, I tackled the bathroom this morning.

Now, when Little Elvis pulls out the drawers, he gets band-aids, and maxi pads to play with. I figured those were the least worrisome objects.

Since the mild scare, the Bel Biv Devoe song, "Poison" has been running through my head. "Moms, I must warn you, that hydrocortisone looks very tasty ... "


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I bet that was scary! We had to call for M once when she drank a tube of lip gloss. Turns out that is mostly glycerine and nothing to worry about either. The woman I talked to was very nice too.

I am so glad that there was no need to rush him to the hospital! Glad you are keeping those things out of his reach now. ;)

12:51 PM  
Blogger MIP said...

I think we all have those items that we know baby shouldn't really have but, you know, just this once...I'm guilty of it too, I let our mister play with the different bottles on his changing table because it keeps him busy when I am trying to change him.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

me: "hi, poison control?"
PC: "oh, it's you again? what is it now?"

...yes, Gage got into some Vicks liquid vapor liquid for the humidifier...and after that, the boy ATE deoderant.
The people at poison control are so nice! ...or, they were to me.


1:40 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

Wow! I have never thought about having to use poison control. I've never given much thought to my little guy playing with diaper cream either. I know what you mean, though, about only wanting things they aren't supposed to have. We have a rock hearth and I made an upholstered cornice to go over it, because my husband and I both hit our heads on them when we were young. I have a scar of my forehead from it. Now that the hearth’s covered, my son wants nothing to do with it, but before I couldn’t keep him from trying to climb all over it. Now he’s moved on to the lamp!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

lisa, I hit my head on a fireplace hearth as a child, too! I had a dent in my forehead until I was about 20, then it mysteriously disappeared.

3:16 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

It's weird how much we have in common. Didn't you say that you use to work in tv? I've got a degree in film and video, and I also made my own breast feeding cover. (Mine wasn't near as clever though!) Sons about a week apart, and we are both Southern!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

OH funny! I managed to make it all the way to number two without having to call. Then with number 2 we called numerous times. (whole bottle of penicillin, painted his entire body with nailpolish...) And each one since. (Maternity vitamins, maternity vitamins...)Crazy kids!

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home