Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back to normal

Bob's home! He got back from New Orleans around midnight Tuesday night. We were all ready for him to be back home.

We are very lucky in that Bob is a very involved father. He loves spending time with Little Elvis, but does more than just play with him. He's a big help in taking care of our son. And I've always appreciated that.

Without that help and support, it was a lot harder. Even though we spend most of our days by ourselves, I was worried about how we would handle being alone.

I know many women and men do this, and with more children. But this was our first experience with it, and I think it was an experience on steroids.

Because coupled with the fact that Little Elvis and I were all by our lonesome, my husband was sitting in a hotel in New Orleans waiting for Hurricane Gustav. I spent lots of time alternately worried about and angry with Bob. Sometimes when he called, I would just sit and not talk. I couldn't. It was too much.

I've also been fighting off a sinus infection for about a week. It's not morphed into a complete infection yet, but I've had bloody noses and spent most of Monday morning with a headache that radiated from my forehead down to my neck.

One last problem is that we are not near family, and my repeated attempts to make friends in my neighborhood have, well, they haven't panned out. So, I didn't have anyone to turn to either.

Still, with all of these things going on, Little Elvis and I did very well.

We only had one "bad" day, and that was Monday. Little Elvis knew that something wasn't right, but he couldn't put his finger on it. And I think I was getting on his nerves.

At lunch I had the audacity to offer him the rest of the banana he didn't eat at breakfast. My child usually loves bananas. Not then. He screamed and gave it the push away. Great. I got him some pear slices. These were even more insulting, and I won't even go into the outrage that his glass of milk caused. It was bad. He ended up eating about three pieces of macaroni and cheese from my plate, because it always tastes better from someone else's plate.

If only Mommy would always feed me cupcakes, then I wouldn't fuss at mealtimes!

Then, my obviously exhausted child refused to nap. After an hour of crying, mixed with my attempts to calm him down, I gave up. And was mad! I plucked him out of the crib, put him on the floor and asked him if he was happy. He was. Then I went around the house slamming drawers and fussing (at Bob who wasn't there.) Little Elvis just followed me trying to get me to hug him.

After that we went shopping and to Chick-Fil-A, and were a happy (slightly matchy-matchy) duo again.Sometimes my mommy dresses me in super cute outfits that don't match what she's wearing.

Until bath time. Bob called to sing Little Elvis his bathtub song. I think that's when he realized what was wrong. He could hear Daddy, but couldn't see him. He just sat in the tub bawling. Bob wanted to know what I had done. I told him it wasn't me, his son missed him. That wasn't fun for any of us.

Bob got up with Little Elvis the next morning, so I didn't get to witness the reunion of my two men, but I'm pretty sure it was a happy one.


Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I am so glad that Bob is home safe and hope you guys settle into your regular routine quickly. It is so hard when they are gone, for so many reasons. I always go through the gamut of emotions as well.
Have a beautiful day,

4:33 PM  
Blogger Stew Swanson said...

He's a great guy.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad things are getting back to normal.

Amazing how little ones pick up on things and seem to understand.

Glad Bob was OK and safe.

5:18 AM  
Blogger MoziEsm√© said...

Glad you survived! I've been thankful that my husband has been home most of the time (with a few days away here or there) since Esme's been born. He's been gone most of the last two months, and amazingly we HAVE survived!

And those times when he comes home and Esme sees him for the first time are so precious! She doesn't want to let him go!

5:57 AM  
Blogger BabyTimeGifts said...

It is so good to hear your husband is back home safe. Hope you have a great day!

11:32 AM  
Blogger mpotter said...

i'm glad everyone's back home!
what a big disruption to your life (and elvis')...
i hate it was so fussy. and that you have no help. i'm in the same boat w/ no family and friends that all said they couldn't wait to meet the baby and have yet to show up!!!

i'm glad y'all are back to normal.
i hope it continues.....

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I do the "rage at the absentee husband" thing too sometimes. I'm alone for the majority of the week, and the majority of Isabella's waking hours (my husband works two jobs), so I can completely relate to what you've described.

I'm glad Bob got home safe and sound, and that LE has his daddy back!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm very happy to hear that Bob is home. yay!!

It is so much easier just to know that someone else is going to be with you at some point in the day... even if you don't really need their help every day just to know it is readily available makes things go a lot smoother. That... and the fact that Bob does help out a lot with Little Elvis and does a bunch of stuff had to make it hard. I hate when my husband goes away... and it is the same with one as it is with three kids... actually with one I think it was worse... I think I was even more lonely. ugh!!

I'm also glad that Bob was safe n sound with the terrible weather around.

Hopefully if he has to go away again things will go easier for you and Little Elvis... but I'm also hoping he doesn't go away for a while now. :)

And, I'm also happy to hear that I'm not the only one that slams draws and pouts at my husband even when he isn't here. :S sorry though that you had to go through this.

Have a great weekend with your two best guys!! :)

xoxoxox HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good that Bob is home and safe. I know how hard it is when Joe is gone. It get very lonely as well. I hope that you are able to make some new friends there. What is wrong with these neighbors? You are so nice and fun. I can't imagine. Maybe try a group outside of the neighborhood. I know when we lived in Jersey I did not click with the women in our neighborhood at all. It was so difficult on me. hang in there.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Kellan said...

That was a difficult time - I'm glad you managed and that Bob made it through and home safely. I wish you had friends where you are - keep looking - you'll find some.

Take care- Kellan

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home