Sunday, January 31, 2010

Baby Plum's debut

Sweet Baby Plum finally has his first music video! It took me four months, I know...

Baby Plum was born on September 25th. It was a scheduled C-section, because Little Elvis' birth was an emergency C-section.

I didn't want to pick Baby Plum's birthday. I felt that was something he should do, but I didn't have a choice.

Bob's birthday is September 27th. My mom's is September 26th. I wanted him to have his own day, and if we picked Friday, the 25th, then Bob would only have to take one day off.

The Wednesday night before Baby Plum's scheduled arrival, I started having contractions. They hurt, but I didn't think they were contractions. They felt different from the ones I experienced with Little Elvis. Only the top half of my stomach hurt. It was intense, but I assumed it must be some sort of really bad indigestion.

I felt better on Thursday, so didn't think too much more about it. It was hard to sleep Thursday night. We had to be at the hospital by 6 the next morning. We got there at 5:30 I believe.

Due to my last experience, I was very worried about the pain of certain procedures. The nurse we had for Little Elvis' delivery was a battle ax. She was pretty mean. Certain things she did hurt so much, even after the epidural. (I felt LOTS of stuff after the epidural, and when I cried, she would tell me that I wasn't feeling things.)

This time, I had to have stuff done before they anesthetized me. I dreaded this more than the actual surgery. It didn't hurt -- was mildly uncomfortable at most. That was such a relief.

This C-section was also a completely different experience. (We were so scared with Little Elvis' delivery -- we lost his heartbeat and had to be rushed into the surgery.) The atmosphere was much more laid back. Since I didn't have an epidural first, they anesthetized me and laid me back very quickly.

Once the surgery began, I felt tugging around my rib cage. I thought that's where they were operating and asked the doctor if they were using my old scar, just to make sure they weren't cutting by my ribs.

The doctor said my cervix was extremely thin and couldn't believe I hadn't experienced any contractions. That's when I connected those dots. He led me to believe that Baby Plum would have selected September 25th on his own.

Baby Plum came into this world screaming mad. He started screaming before they even cleaned his mouth. The doctor held a very angry little baby over the curtain so I could see him. He was a very cute screamer. The doctor thought he was really long and skinny.

He screamed through the measuring, weighing and APGAR test. He screamed until they handed him to his Daddy. He weighed 8 pounds, 2 ounces, and was 19 1/2 inches long. He had a head full of dark fuzz and bright blue eyes. He was beautiful, and other than the eyes looked just like his big brother.

Bob took him to the nursery and they wheeled me to recovery. I was fairly loopy and am not sure how long I was in there. I believe it was a few hours before I got to hold him.

He was so tiny and light. I know Little Elvis was actually a little smaller, but it was hard to remember that. Bob and I had to learn how to dress an infant all over again. We were used to Little Elvis helping us out.

Baby Plum was an eager eater. Very eager. He latched pretty quickly.

My parents kept Little Elvis, but brought him for lots of visits. But there was one point where it was just us -- Bob, me, Baby Plum, Little Elvis. Little Elvis would not stop pushing the call button on my bed and yelling, and I thought that was proof that we would not be able to control them both.

We did get Little Elvis to settle down, and Bob was changing Baby Plum in the bassinet. Baby Plum peed during the change and it got all over Little Elvis! Poor baby just cried, and I thought, "That's it. He's going to hate his little brother now."

Thankfully I was wrong on both counts.

Finally, here's our sweet baby's first music video. I heard the song last year in a commercial and thought it would be perfect for this occasion.


Blogger Kristi said...

So, so, so cute. It's hard to believe they were that small once, isn't it?

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandpa Stew

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home